Monday, February 2, 2009

Considering Duct Tape

Adlai and Noah are wrapping up the city league basketball season. It has been so much fun to watch them play, to learn and improve. They both have some really great kids on their teams and have made some new friends, both Adlai and Noah are so scrappy and smart (just the way a basketball player should be). Noah's coach is excellent. He's super positive and believes in teaching and building the kids. They haven't had the most successful season but they've learned a lot and everybody tries really hard to do their best. I'm a really great mom when I go to Noah's games, really I am.
I cheer and clap when it's appropriate, I don't r
aise my voice and I've never said or done anything to embarrass Noah (heaven forbid).
But it's a different story when I go to Adlai's games. It's like I'm Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I'm aware of why I go through this transformation (I'm unable to divulge it in order to protect the innocent). None the less these are 7th and 8th grade boys, you would think a grown women could control herself. Before you get the wrong idea it's not like I run out on the court and pile drive anyone (even though I've thought about it), or yell curse words (out loud). It's just that I might say something like "Holy cow could someone please box out?" or "Goodnight! Stop shooting three pointers and pass the cotton picken' ball!" Once in a while something similar to "for the love of basketball could you please look down the court, there's a kid wide open underneath!" might slip out. I've apologized to Adlai for embarrassing him but he acts clueless and says stuff like "I didn't hear you say anything." But I heard myself say something and I know I need to STOP (notice the capitals.)

My mom came to the game the other night and said "Robbie, you kind of remind me of grandma." For those of you who know my Grandma Allen know that I would take that as a compliment if it were said anywhere else besides a gym.
So...I've heard the first step to recovery is knowing that you have a problem. I've got that down, now what? What is the second step? Having Joseph video tape the game and I watch it later? Taking some kind of pill to relax? Pretending it's okay to be lazy when your playing sports? (just typing that last sentence gets my blood boiling!) If I don't get some good advice I'm considering a piece of duct tape for my mouth. Anyone know a good sports shrink? As you can see I'm deseperate and Tri-State basketball hasn't even started yet.

6 comments:

laceeJ said...

I'm sorry...it's in the gene pool....Marva....Marvalee....Danielle...Robbie....There is no pill, otherwise Grandpa would have invented it....Duct tape might work though :P LOL

Goodrich said...

Rob, just think- what would Jesus have me do. No seriously I have felt that way too and it they aren't my kids- heavens they are on a team I have don't know anyone-except the Principal or a teacher at that school DHHS, or even HHS. Good luck with it, let me know the schedule- PLEASE!!!!

renhallows said...

You know...that's the life of a mother, well some mothers! And it's okay! I think it's quite hiliarious!
Hey..have Joe video tape the game and have him sit right next to you then watch it later. Maybe listening to yourself will be therapy enough.
I love it! Especially when I think of DAD yelling at you during volleyball in Delta. it's in the gene pool I suppose!

fivewheeler said...

I would love to hand out advice about being calm and serene but unfortunately I have my own problems. The one thing that makes me cool it is when I see another parent acting like an idiot and then I compare. But its short lived so I say...do your best and DOWN THE MIDDLE!

Brenda said...

Hey Robbie, it's Beeg!
I know exactly how you feel. It is nearly impossible to sit and be quiet at those 7th grade games! People are hot doggin' and don't even look at other teammates. I video taped one of the games and I was so embarrassed when I heard myself yelling!

loriallen said...

Awwww, you let me back on. I harbor no ill will to you and your family.Mainly because you and your love-of-your-life share the same birthdy!! Ok, that's rockin' awesome. Lance and I both share the same distaste for complacency, does that count for anything? You have a pretty darn cool family! Good job girl! And I what a lucky hubby of yours that gets such accallaides from his wife:)

-FROM SMALL BEGINNINGS COME GREAT THINGS-